Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sleep

Elijah typically will go to sleep with in 15 minutes of us beginning to put him down, however, we have to be holding him for him to go to sleep (95% of the time). Now being a new parent, everyone has the need to share their advice with me and I hear you have to let them cry, you have to hold them to nurture them. I also know sooner or later I can't hold Elijah to go to sleep (probably soon, due to his massive size). But here is my dilemma. Elijah is a good sleeper but he is not very good at regulating his body and I have a small suspicion he has GERD. Therefore, he needs to be rocked in an upright position until he is sound asleep. If I happen to put him down before he is completely out he will wake up screaming. If he happens to get to the screaming phase going to bed will take an extra 60 minutes because that's how long it will take to calm him down. The whole, let him scream until he falls asleep, does not work. He will scream so hard until he throws up. However, he will put himself to sleep when he is in his car seat/swing (but there is movement).

So my question to all the mothers: How do you wean your baby from sleeping in your arms to falling asleep by themselves without throwing up?

No comments: