Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Day in My Life

We will do a 12am to 12am.

We start with me sound asleep (most of the time.) Some time between 2 and 3 little man Elijah wakes up and wants to be feed, and me being the wonderful mother that I am try to ignore him for at least 10 minutes hoping he falls back asleep. He never does. So I get up, check to make sure my side of the bed is still on so the bed is warm when I get back and go get the boy. I stumble into his room and remember he weighs half a ton and have to get my muscles ready to lift him out of the crib. I feed him for about 20 minutes then think about changing him. I change him only about 50% of the time, typically only when he poops during the feeding. I then try to burp him but most of the time he is already sound a sleep. I put him back in his crib cover him up and head back to bed. Crawl back in bed, kick the dog back to the end of the bed because some time during the last 20 minutes the dog took over my spot. I fall back asleep until about 5 or 5:30. Lately, Elijah has been sleeping in later but sometimes he wakes up at 5 and wants to eat so I feed him if not then at 5:30 my alarm goes off and I hit snooze for about uh... 30-45 minutes.

6:15 I typically roll over and realize I need to get up and almost at the same time I realize I didn't wash the pump parts last night and I'm already running late. I poke BJ and ask him if he will help me. He always mumbles a yeah. I then head off to shower and get ready for the day. At 6:40 if Elijah has not eaten yet I feed him while I do my makeup. I then stare at my baby for a couple of minutes until I realize that I needed to be downstairs about 10 minutes ago.

7:00 I get downstairs turn on the hot water to wash the pump parts, make lunch, and make breakfast. Some times I eat in the car others I eat while I make my lunch. All the while I stare at baby. I then throw all the pump parts into the bag, swear I will wash them when I get home tonight and put it, my lunch and hot tea into the car. Come back inside put a coat on the baby and run him to the sitters (two doors down). Say goodbye to BJ and head off to work by 7:20.

Now the last couple of weeks my car has been making funny noises and that is never good especially when your income is less than before. So the whole way to work I think about the noise and how much it will cost to fix.

7:50 I get to work go in and talk with the ladies in the front. Sign in, get my charts and head off to prep for the day. That typically means staring at my computer for several minutes before I realize if I don't pump soon I will lose my window and be in pain for the morning. So I grab my first few charts, my cart and some toys and head off to my room for the day.

8:15 pump, 8:30 start therapy and treat until about 11:45 when it is time to pump again. 12:00 time for lunch and talking with my co-workers. 12:30 back to treating until 3:00 when it is time to pump again. 3:15 or 3:30 back to work until about 5. I clean up my room and get ready to head home. Get home between 5:30 and 6 most days to feed the baby his rice cereal.

7:00 bring the baby up to bed and get put him down, 7:30 head down stairs and figure out what is for dinner and eat some time later.

8:00 sit down on the couch and watch my nightly tv, when I usually get so sleepy that I start to fade. 9:00 think about going to bed early, 10:00 get up to go to bed, turn on the bed, brush my teeth, and head to bed. Think about not cleaning the pump and think tomorrow will be different. At about 10:30 BJ comes to bed which means I talk to him for several minutes and don't actually fall asleep until 11 thinking tomorrow I am going to bed earlier. Fall asleep. The end.

No comments: