Thursday, March 03, 2011

Leg vs. Leg vs. Leg

Who made the English Language so difficult?  Especially when the children have so many other difficulties.  The other day I was trying to teach a child about parts of an object, specifically a chair and a table.  We got stuck when we hit the legs.  Poor kid, I kept trying to tell him the table has legs, he would then touch his legs.  I would tell him, no look table legs and touch the table leg.  He would then touch the leg of the table with his leg.  We then moved to the chair and touch the chair legs, then we drew pictures of animals and counted there legs.  (We were very limited to a bird and one animal with four legs, all my dogs, cows, horses and other animals look the same.)  We then talked about if trees have legs, or water or fish.  Then we walked the clinic looking for legs.  People legs, dino legs, stuffed puppy legs, table legs, chair legs.  By the end of the session anytime I said something, the child would respond by saying "legs."  I think I broke him.  Just wait until next week when we discuss chair arms, and backs.  Oh help us all.

No comments: