Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Before and After

Before I became a mom I had my favorite set of toys that I loved at work.  I loved the Fisher Price farm/zoo, a handful of books, puzzles, and songs.  I had it down to a point where I didn't even need to plan, I just looked at the child's age, grabbed the 5-7 toys that I could make work with their goals and head off to the room.  In came kid, sit and play for 30-35 minutes then talk to the parents and tell them how to do the same at home.

Along came Elijah.  I thought it would be a wonderful idea to allow Elijah to share in the fun of some of my favorite therapy toys at home.

After: I still have all my great ideas and therapy plans with all of my old favorite toys and stuff, however, I hate using them.  Elijah makes us play with his farm, cars, animals, and some books, EVERY WAKING HOUR.  Don't get me wrong, it's great, he does the cutest things, however, when I go off to work I want to cut my hands off instead of play with those darn toys MORE!  I even got Elijah a Mr. Potato head family but I don't want him to play with it because I am currently using it with, ummmm 95% of my clients and the thought of playing it more on my weekends or evenings is just killing me.  Lesson I have learned from this...All my old therapy toys should remain therapy toys.  Any new toys/games should be Elijah's toys and when I get sick of them at home they get put away for a bit and in a year they will reemerge as therapy toys.  :)

P.S. Please understand that I love my job, and I would never change jobs or make the decision to be a stay at home mother.  I still enjoy seeing a wide range of ages, skills and diagnoses over the course of my day and being able to give the kids back at the end of 45 minutes no matter how good or bad they were. 

No comments: