Friday, September 03, 2010

It lives in the sink

With my new hours at work I am actually able to get some house work done. Today however, I was not very motivate to do so but I see in the future a nice schedule going, every week the kitchen gets wiped down and dishes put away, Island cleared off and table cleaned. Every other week, the bathrooms get super cleaned and parts of the upstairs such as the bedrooms. Once a month the kitchen gets deep cleaned. And some where in there the living room and floors need to be done. Anyway you look at it, this is the most "on top" of my house work I have ever been. My house might not look crazy clean but I am getting better and once I can start putting my child to work it will look even better. Especially since most of my time is spent picking up the buckets of things he is moving around the house.

As I was cleaning the sink today I almost died though. I can honestly say I do not remember the last time I Comet cleaned or even wiped it down. And since we ruined our sinks the first week we moved in by putting paint in the sink we bought those rubber sink mats to hide all the paint. Those things do a good job of hiding stuff. I thought about taking a picture of what was under these things but then I thought that that was WAAAAY to gross so I passed. Let me just tell you I didn't know stainless steel could look that brown, and was that really mold?? No wonder we all have horrible allergies. Thank goodness DCFS doesn't do spot checks on all families and the cleanliness of the food preparation area. I would have been shut down for sure, however, since the amount of times I actually cook, I don't see how that would affect us to much. With the least amount of surface area I picked up the rubber mat with my forefinger and thumb and through it into the half full dishwasher. Then I thought, maybe I shouldn't wash dishes with these things because all that stuff is touching my dishes, then I thought, what would I do with the dirty dishes then? In went the second one. I dumped about half the bottle of Comet into the sink and scrubbed, then sprayed it down, and scrubbed again. Then I took the vinegar, which I have recently discovered as a wonderful cleaning agent, better than any expensive chemical you can buy, it even cuts through dog snot stuck to your glass and baked on stuff on the oven. Wonderful stuff. Anyway, went at the still semi brown spots with the vinegar and scrubbed more. Now the sink is shinny and lovely. If anyone needs to wash their hands or has a dirty dish they will need to either use a different sink, hold onto it for about 10 more hours or wash it themselves. Keep that sink clean until I wake up tomorrow, Please.
**PS that is not a picture of my sink, and I do not wear rubber gloves to clean. Just for the record.

No comments: