Sunday, February 21, 2010

When two worlds meet

We all have different lives as we go through life. However, most people have several lives that are all intertwined, I never felt that way with mine. I specifically remember 3 as I grew up: my life in Naperville, which included my high school life, and my mom, and my brother; my life in Warrenville, which included my dad, step-mom, brother and sister; and my church life, which included BJ. Even though all my lives were continually changing, very rarely did they actually over lap. And when they did overlap it was kinda like guest appearances on your favorite TV show. Every once in a while my Naperville life would get a peak at my Warrenville life, Sometimes my Naperville life would get a peak into my church life. My church life got to peak at both sides because BJ gradually became part of both of my lives but in high school we still had our own lives that occasionally crossed. However, very rarely did my Warrenville life ever get to see either of my other lives. Reason being, my Warrenville life was really about my brother and sister because we hung out with the families of their friends. This never bugged me, It was just how my life was. I was used to my separate lives. I was real happy with them. And since I was older than all of my siblings by several years my Naperville/high school life was really the one that if I had to pick one would be "typical."

Although I have different lives now than I did in high school, I had all three lives in the same spot this weekend and it was weird, but fun. Here's how it went: This weekend my best friend asked me to go to a chili cook off for her boyfriends church. I said sure, I knew where the church was and it was just minutes from my dad's house. However, when I told my dad where we were going, he informed me that everyone that we hung out with "back in the day" go to that church. Well okay, guess I should get ready to see everyone that I really haven't seen in AGES. Well sure enough just about everyone was there! And of course there I was, without my family, and never there before. Several people took a couple of minutes to place me then we did a whole bunch of catching up. This was all followed by, "why are you here?" Well my answer was my best friend from high school is dating someone at this church and they entered the cook off. They then of course wanted to know who my friend was dating. Umm... "Dan" was all I could answer. After several of these questions I decided it would be a good idea to figure out his last name. I was also told just tell them, "Kim's son." Right, got it. Then as I told all of the Warrnville people, I found out most of them knew his family. In fact, many of them had helped in making their chili. How weird. Which made me think, "my family probably knows his family." Sure enough get home and let them know who the family was, yup they knew his family. Who knew that if I would have lived in Warrnville my whole life, and never had my Naperville life, I would have probably met up with my high school best friend because her current boyfriend and I would have been the same age and everyone in Warrenville knows everyone else. Freaky!!

No comments: