Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic Fever

I'm trying to make it as contagious as possible. I have been missing sleep, dreaming about the Olympics, and checking the medal count almost religiously. Because of this, and it is fun to have something to talk about with my kids, I have been asking all kids if they have been watching the Olympics. Some say no but then when asked if they have been watching ice skating, they say yes. Some say no but their parents are. And others say yes and they proceed to tell you all about what they are learning or what they have seen. One little boy today told me all about the speed skaters, "Did you know they have longer skates?" Another kid told me she like to watch the skiers who go like this... and proceeded to walk down the hallway like she was going over moguls. So because of this I have been creating homework that the kids can do while they are watching the Olympics. My most recent, most creative... Olympic Bingo!! That's right. All my articulation kids (working on speech sounds) are getting lists of words that have something, anything, and sometimes a stretch, that are about the Olympics. Then they take the list home with their mini-bingo board and sit in front of the TV calling out their words until they have a cover all. My favorite are the kids working on the /s/ blends (sk, st, sn, sm, sw, sp) My most creative stretch... Swimsuit, that's what the figure skaters wear. HA... Poor kids, I'm screwing them up. I think the parents are more excited about the homework than the little kids. That is great because then it will actually get done, I hope. Others... "sh" words, Shawn White, shovel, show, shake, share. I enjoy when I get into the homework. I enjoy it even more when I actually think it will get done.

On another note, I can't wait to get back to a regular sleep cycle. They stay on way past my bed time!

No comments: