Sunday, February 14, 2010

To Be or Not To Be...

A soccer mom that is. It is getting to be that time in our lives when we need to start talking about getting a new car. However, I am one of those people who likes to think practical and for the future. I know there have been posts about this in the past so this isn't like it is something new since I have become a mom. But still I can't help but think of the future and how spending money now will benefit me in the future. One of the reasons we went to the Auto show was to check out different cars that would possibly become our next car. Well going to the show we were looking for a car that gives us more room so we can take our GIANT stroller with us to places and still be able to bring luggage and stuff. That was the main reason. Then we started talking about getting an SUV. But I am having trouble going for an SUV when the 3rd row of seats is always SOOOO uncomfortable. And of course, since I am little I typically end up sitting in the back row. But then again, people keep saying but it's you, BJ and Elijah. Yes, I know this but... I like to be effective and when our little family and another family go places it would be nice to car pool. Plus, let me just tell you that the new car seat we have is not that little. The thought of having to put that thing in the middle seat and 2 full grown adults in the back is a very crowded thought. Plus, BJ and I are really the first people we know to have kids but that means that in the next few years more people we know will be having kids. So it would be nice to have a vehicle that can hold 4 adults, and 2 children in car seats. Yes, this means we are back to the van. But then I have to think, but it's just me, BJ, and Elijah, and trust me a fourth little Okel is not going to be in the cards for the next couple of years. But some day I would like a fourth, maybe even a fifth Okel so do I buy the car that will live with our family for the next um... um... lets see, my car is a '98 and it is now '10 making it 12 years old. So if I buy a new car it would live with us for 12+ years I would hope. A used car probably not that long. Depends on the car. I could go for cars like a Mazda 6 with seats that fold down or a car like the Subaru Outback that has lots of storage room that will fit our great stroller and luggage. But still I keep coming back to the # of seats. Any help out there??? Thoughts??? I also don't want a car that will cost so much money that we can't go on vacation for the next 12 years. AHHHHHH!

2 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

A fifth Okel? GIrl, that's crazy talk! ;)
If only it weren't for silly car seats....I think about this often but hope we don't have to car shop for awhile. good luck!

Meghann said...

We have a Mazda 5 and LOVE it...it's like a "mini" mini-van. It can seat up to 7 people, however, probably not comfortably in the back row (the dealership told us the back row was mainly for small kids, and not adults, howeve, Becky fit back there just fine over the summer LOL). It does have 2 captain's chairs as the middle row, which I like, cuz the boys will never fight about "he's on my side" like my brother and I did LOL Also, the back row folds down, so our massive double stroller fits in pretty easily!