Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My day as an SLP

Today I was schooled by an eight year old and a Robin helped me with my feeding kid.

So this week I have been a little overwhelmed because I will only be at work Monday-Thursday and spending Friday getting ready to travel to Minnesota for BJ's grandpa's funeral, I have had some reschedules into the week so my kids don't miss therapy. With that The last two days I have been in a room that a pesky robin thinks there is a tree where there is really a window. Plus I just got a new speech book, and have been using it with just about all my kids! So Fun! Anyway, I was trying to convince a child he needed to swallow an apple, and he was not having it. Then the pesky robin started running into the window again. The kid got really excited and started asking questions about the bird. Then me, wanting to manipulate the situation as much as I possibly could (and taking a page out of my mom's parenting style) said, the bird wants you to eat the apple. He wanted me get the bird to come back and i said that he needed to put the little bit of apple into his belly before the bird came back. We argued about this for 5 min. until I finally was able to get him to put the apple in his tummy. The whole time I was praying that darn bird would come back. Thank God! He returned!!! I got the kid to eat the apple a second time. That's when the angles started to sing. I was so happy. Then my next kid came in, I was showing him my new book and he wanted to check out a sound. So I casually say, man, I wish I could figure out the order of these words. No joke he looks at me and says, "yeah, they should be in alphabetical order." HAHA they are. After 2.5 days of using it in and out, that's how long it took an eight year old to point it out to me. After that I was ready to go home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A bird at the window is certainly more appropriate in this setting than babies in your tummy! Made me laugh.