Saturday, April 17, 2010

I have so many idea's about what to post about maybe I will do a two part post. If you only get one idea out of it that is probably one of two reasons. 1) I forgot what the second idea was by the time I had written the first or 2) I am just to sleepy to continue. Who knows.

#1- Last night (Friday) BJ and I drove up to Minnesota after work due to BJ's grandpa passing away. We decided that it would be best, since we have a child under a year, to travel the 6-7 hours at night that way Elijah could sleep the entire time giving us peace. BJ ended up working Friday, while I packed, and cleaned. Packing for an extended weekend is hard work, especially since the last time I traveled with this little man he was eating and doing a whole lot less. But anyway, we traveled though the night and pulled into our Orbitz hotel at 1:30 am. Immediately we should have known we were in for a fun time, for a cop car was parked out front. Lights were off but unless these Minnesota cops were doing business on the side, it isn't typical for cops to visit a hotel in the middle of the night. BJ gets out of the car and goes to check us in. Not even 5 min. later BJ calls me and lets me know the pool is out of service. Well typically this wouldn't be a big deal except we had called both of BJ's brothers letting them know that we would have a pool and that there children should bring their swim suits. Then apparently the hotel lost our reservation because they had filed it under BJ's first name as his last name. At this point BJ being tired and slightly crabby wanted to leave and go else where. Me, I just wanted to go to bed, and I didn't think 1:30 am was the best time to drive around town and find a hotel. So we decided we would only unpack what we needed for the night and the next morning and deal with the situation then. WEEEEELL when you have a baby, what you need for the night and the next morning= everything you put in the car. Stepping into the room my initial thought was, "it smells" then I saw the carpet, my next thought was, "ewww, Elijah is not touching this floor." We set up the pack and play, and put him to bed then quickly followed suit. The next morning BJ was awake and on the phone with orbitz around 6:30 canceling our reservations and finding a better place to stay. (I like this place). However, what I have learned from this experience is that when I stay in a hotel it has to be 3 stars or more. If that is not an option, then I will 1. not go or 2. camp. Because in all fairness, camping is sooooo much more clean that the state of some of those hotel rooms.

#2-Funerals. It is funny, okay not funny but interesting, how a time for mourning turns into a happy and fun family gathering. I have been to my fair share of funerals where I have not been part of the family or the person who passed away was young and it is hard to be there, however, when an individual has lived a good life, and made a strong family with lots of memories, funerals are a good time to get together with all your loved ones and remember the good days. I'm sure there will be a different thought tomorrow, but until then this is my thought.

#3- Traveling with a 10 month old. Remember my post about traveling with a 6 month old. Yeah, it got a little worse. Here is what I packed for our 4 day trip.
6 different casual outfits some short sleeve, some long sleeve, some shorts, some long pants
2 different pairs of shoes
dress outfit
3 pairs of PJ's
socks
diapers
swim diapers
swim suit
baby soap
butt paste
thermometer
nose sucker
nail clippers
pack-n-play
2 big blankets
2 small blankets
a quilt
3 stuffed animals from home
pacifiers (even though he doesn't use them at home, in new places he typically will forget he needs to sleep)
5 bottles
formula
Cheerios
puffs
3 boxes of 2 pack stage 2 baby food fruit
3 boxes of 2 pack stage 2 baby food veggies
animal crackers
wagon wheels
another finger food thing
3 bowls
6 spoons
4 small snack cups
oatmeal for several feedings
bottle cleaner
dish soap
all of his toys
high chair
I'm sure there is more but I just can't think anymore, I need sleep. Good night.

No comments: