Monday, April 19, 2010

In memory...

Warning first and foremost, this post will have some sad moments and if you cry easily or were part of this last weekend, you might not want to read this while at work.
As many of you know this past weekend our family traveled to Minnesota for BJ's grandpa's funeral. One thing I like about funerals is everyone shows up. Unlike weddings people bend over backwards to get to a relatives funeral. Most of the time weddings come along and if we have to travel it seems difficult and we tend to look towards reasons we can't go. Funerals on the other hand, we know that that is the end and we have to get there to say our goodbyes. This weekend I met ALL of BJ's family. There were cousins I never met, aunts and uncles I haven't seen in years, and second cousins I have never met. At the same time, every one was able to meet our little man.
Sunday we attended the memorial service, which was absolutely beautiful. I learned things about Grandpa Berwyn that I never really knew. One thing that I learned is he lead a full life. Yes he made some poor choices along the way but it really made him human. He also realized his decisions and changed his ways to be a good father and grandfather in the end. I also realized that although BJ did not get a lot of physical traits from his grandpa, instead he received his outgoing personality. I heard more times than I can count, "he was always smiling" and " He would talk with everyone he met." That right there is my husband and one of his best personality traits (although it does drive me crazy some times).
Monday we went to the National Cemetery out side of Minneapolis and had the funeral processional. This was the first time that I had been a part of funeral for an individual who had been in the armed forces. The best way to describe it is beautiful. The whole thing was perfect. It was also the first time that I had actually been inside a National Cemetery. The white head stones, the straight lines, perfect. Elijah did well with the 21 gun salute, mostly because his ears were completely covered, but it was wonderful. Then when the service was complete one of the family members looked up to see a complete rainbow around the sun. I have never seen the full circle of the rainbow, but it was wonderful.
After the ceremony was complete we drove the couple of miles to the Mall of America for lunch
(Elijah watching the fish and the gorillas at Rainforist cafe)
then went back to Grandpa's burial sight and marked it with the GPS. Although his permanent head stone was not in place yet, there was a blank, white head stone that looked perfect. We marked it with the GPS because he will be buried in the middle of a large section and it might take a while to find him when we go back in a couple of years.
All in all this trip has been very peaceful. Seeing the family, reminiscing about Grandpa's life, and laying his ashes to rest in a very peaceful place, has brought a calm feeling about his passing. I just hope the peaceful feeling will last the entire drive back to Chicago tomorrow. And in the words of Grandpa Berwyn, "Have I told you today that I love you?"

PS: Happy Adoption Day Rescue.

No comments: