Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Surgery

Tomorrow is Elijah's surgery. Initially when I found out Elijah needed surgery, I took it real well. It was presented to me in a very matter of fact way with just a shrug and a "this is very routine." Then we met with the surgeon and he knew what he was doing, and very confident but not overly cocky. I was fine when he told us Elijah needed surgery. Then the Holiday's came and we put off scheduling his surgery until after the new year. Even scheduling it I was fine. It wasn't until today at 12:20 that it hit me. The pre-op nurse called to ask all the pre-op questions that I had practiced and warned patients about for years when I worked on the other side of the phone. I was told where to park, and answered questions that part of me felt were really funny, and part of me was really sad that I was answering if my child had any psychological disorders so he could have surgery. I know that Elijah will be just fine. I know that he won't remember anything. I know that the pain from his recovery he won't remember. But I feel... I guess I feel like a mom. I just want to hold him his whole surgery, I don't want to be rooms away. However, by the time most of you will be reading this we will probably be on our way home hanging with a very crabby baby who is still trying to pop 3 of his 4 teeth. I'll let you know how everything went tomorrow night.

On another note this was my fortune tonight: One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. Guess that means I should be happy for the rest of my life because I have a horrible memory.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Hope all went well and Elijah is recovering well along with the parents.

Ryan and Katie said...

praying for you hope it went well!