Wednesday, January 06, 2016

School the Week After Break

School life has odd roller coaster effects.  Sure there are several "normal" roller coaster moments but definitely more odd ones, especially if you have never worked in the schools.  Some of the normal ones are beginning of the school year high, followed by the end of October low, followed by the Thanksgiving break high, then the sky rocket high of December.  It continues but one of the crazy time of year is coming back from break longer than a three day weekend.

I find it funny how long it takes kids (across the whole school) to get into the routine of school, and how quickly it takes them to fall out of routine.  I mean I even fell victim to it this year as I was sitting in a meeting with my stomach growling.  The typical return to school is as follows:

Day 1: Kids are so happy and excited to be back at school
Day 2: Kids are average getting into school but by lunch some of them are starting to fall asleep and be crabby over little things.
Day 3: Some of the kids are sleeping, some of the kids are crying, some of the kids just cannot function, while other kids are bouncing off the walls.
Day 4 and 5: Things start to get back to normal and we go on about our ways until the next break.

These are some things I have heard in the three days back from break from kids:
Don't worry, my ears are not missing, they are just under my head phones. (Thank goodness this kid told me this, I was just about to wonder where his ears went).
(Teacher: What did you do over break?) Wake up.
I went in an elevator, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down.
(While crying) I miss my mom. (Teacher) Do you want snack? (Stops crying immediately) Okay!

No comments: