Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I fixed the temperature

In the process of changing the clocks back I had my last straw with the thermostat.  I have been convinced that the thermostat has been reading the wrong temperature for over a year. In the summer it wasn't bugging me because I enjoy being warm.  However, when the thermostat reads 70 and I'm convinced it is not even 65 in the house I am freezing.  I went upstairs and got the indoor/outdoor thermometer and brought it downstairs.  It read 64.4 in the bedroom.  I placed it next to the thermostat downstairs that read 70.  I waited about 20 minutes and the temperature only changed about .3 degrees.  I then wanted to double check my findings, soooo because we are nerds, we have an infrared thermometer, I went around and checked the surface temperature of just about everything in the house.  I then took the average temperature of all the surfaces and compared them with the thermometer that I had brought down from upstairs and they were about the same.  I then started taking the thermostat apart trying to figure out how to reset the temperature.  I then looked up the owners manual for our thermostat online (thank you google, don't know how I lived my life without you).  I figured out it was real simple and did so.  Now the house finally feels comfortable and warm.  Wahoo go me!

No comments: