Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spider...

I don't know where Elijah heard this from but he loves spiders (in books).  I recently just bought Elijah 3 new Halloween books to read before bed, and his favorite pages are the ones with spiders on it.  It even got really cute when he started saying pider...or piduh as it came out most of the time.  Then a day or two ago it turned into deedi like most things in his life.  We get about a week out of a word, then it disappears for a while then it comes back. 

I am not going to lie, one of the things I was looking forward to about being a parent is that I would "train" my child to kill those big, scary spiders in our house.  But I would need a way to introduce the things to my kid without freaking out.  Turns out books are the way. 

Unfortunately the plan sorta backfired.  See Elijah became obsessed with spiders.  That's all he would look for. In fact, I think the spiders replaced the geese.  So today while I'm getting ready to leave, I hear Elijah's spider.  I get super freaked out thinking how will I kill it, make it look fun and encourage Elijah to do the next one.  Turns out the "spider" was really a mosquito eater, however, when your just about 16 months old they look the same.  I went over and bent down to show Elijah he could get close to it and it would be okay, so Elijah squatted down next to me and got real close, but not to close.  (Actually very cute looking)  I kept putting my foot over the bug and tried to get E to do the same.  When he did he actually stepped on it.  When he moved his foot he got upset because, the bug/spider was gone.  I mean really upset.  He refused to move to go to school until the spider came back.  Yeah that I can't do. 

Guess, I have to wait a couple more months before I can convince Elijah to save me from the spiders.  BOOOO!!

No comments: