Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Quick note from an SLP

What does an SLP do?  or You do THAT?  Are the two things I hear the most when I talk to people about my job.  The other thing I hear a lot too is "what can you do with a newborn?"  Let me tell you.  Strictly talking about pediatrics, although most of what I do can also be done with adults, just in different ways.

Speech- Yeah that goes without saying.  A Speech-Language Pathologist works on speech.  But what is speech.  It's the way you say things.  So for all you people out there that couldn't say your "s" or "r" or any other sound in the English language I was the one you saw.

Language- Yup another give away.  But did you know there are two kinds of language?  The understanding what is said to you, and the formulating and using language.  Little kids I get to teach to talk, older kids add more words together, and even older kids make challenging sentences.

Feeding- I teach kids to eat.  Can you do it with your mouth?? Then it's my area.  I teach chewing, I help swallowing and I help all those picky eaters increase the food they eat.  This part of my job is not neat and tidy, but very very messy.  Babies get to learn how to eat from a bottle and all that fun stuff.

Voice- Low breath support, quiet talking, vocal abuse, I can help them all.  However, bad habits are bad to break and this gets tricky when the kids have difficulty following directions.

Fluency- Other wise know as stuttering.  Can't cure it but sure can help it.

I'm sure we do more, but it's almost 10:00 and my brain stops working around 9:00.  Tomorrow is more eating, more, talking, and more playing.

1 comment:

Jennifer O said...

More stuff we do...
Cognition (problem solving/reasoning)
Memory (mostly with adults)
Social Skills/nonverbal behavior
AAC (augmentative/alternative communication)