Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Well that was Croupy

Yes, as in Croup.  We had our first experience with the lovely virus.  On the up side, I learned a lot about what croup is.  If we could have any disease at least it is part of the one area of the body I am super comfortable with, the larynx. 

So it all started Sunday when Elijah woke up just a bit warm.  Not really a fever but not normal. We make it through the day with no other issues.  He goes to sleep that night and we think we are all good.  He then wakes up at 10:30 with his temp at about 99 degrees.  I give him some ibuprofen and go and watch the police drama in the hood.  At 11:30 we come in and fall asleep.  at 12:00 Eli wakes up screaming.  We bring him into our bed for the next 3 hours where he sleeps but I don't.  At 3 or 3:30 it doesn't really matter, I move him back to his room and put him to sleep.  He wakes up at 6:30 and is warm but not technically a fever I give him some more medicine and send him to daycare thinking he will be sent home during the day.  He makes it to the end of Monday but his fever rises again around 5:00.  We make it home and we are doing well.  We put Elijah down at 8:00 since he didn't sleep well the night before. 

He was up at 9, 10, 10:30, 11:30, 12, 1.  Not the normal snugly sick, but the I'm going to scream, if you touch me I scream louder, if you put me down I scream even louder.  All while he sounds like a duck/dog with his cough.  At 1 I decide that we will be heading to the hospital.  Even if they couldn't do anything for Elijah, I was hoping it would give BJ some time at home to sleep.  We walk in and Elijah goes into "I'm with other people mode" and is a doll.  As soon as we walk through the door they diagnosed him with Croup.  That was fast.  They give him some oral steroids and tell me somethings about croup that I don't comprehend because it's 2:00 and I'm sleepy.  During our wait I check on my brother who is on his European trip and realize he just woke up.  We get home around 3 and Elijah melts down again.  More screaming.  He finally falls asleep on the airbed that we had in his room that we thought would be used by company but wasn't. Thank you to them for having us blow it up.  It was much better than sleeping on the floor. 

By 10 we headed to his pediatrician and got some more medicine.  I think he will be fine, I just hope for sleep tonight. 

No comments: